• If you recently received a letter from the U.S. Department of Education indicating that you may be eligible for Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) discharge, please reference our FAQs for additional information about applying or how TPD discharge may affect social programs you may be participating in. Read FAQs »

    Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge

    Welcome to the online information resource center for TPD discharge of William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, Federal Perkins Loan (Perkins Loan) Program loans, and Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program service obligations.

    Learn More About TPD

  • TPD 101

    If you are totally and permanently disabled, you may qualify for a total and permanent disability (TPD) discharge of your federal student loans or TEACH Grant service obligation. If you receive a TPD discharge, you will no longer be required to repay your loans or complete your TEACH Grant service obligation. This section explains more about TPD discharge.

    Click here to learn more

    Application Process

    There are three ways to show that you are totally and permanently disabled. This section explains the three ways and outlines the supporting documentation you’ll need to provide to us.

    Click here to learn more

    Ready to Apply?

    Are you ready to begin your application for a TPD discharge? This section allows you to start your application online. After you’ve answered some questions, you’ll print the partially completed application, attach your supporting documentation or get your physician to complete Section 4 of the application, and mail everything to us.

    Click here to apply

  • Announcements

    Updated Poverty Guidelines
    Please be advised that the poverty guidelines for 2018 have been published and can be accessed through the Poverty Guidelines link located in the Resources section. You will soon be receiving this notification in the mail. This is for your information only and does not require any action on your part.

    Form 1099-C

    If you received Form 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt), you are not required to take any additional action with this form with Nelnet. We sent you this form because the U.S. Department of Education discharged your federal student loan(s). The discharged loan amount will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service and may be considered income when you file your federal tax return. For more information, see the “Instructions for Debtor” on the 1099-C form, contact a tax professional, or go to IRS.gov. If you need another copy of your 1099-C form, you may obtain one by logging into your TPD account or creating an account now.

US Department of Education and Nelnet
© Nelnet, Inc. and Affiliates. All Rights Reserved.